Whilst in Nursery the children are working within the Foundation Stage and follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum. This curriculum has four key themes and principles. These are:
A Unique Child – every child is a unique child who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured. We encourage children to celebrate being unique and sharing their special talents and skills.
Positive Relationships – children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships. We teach children how to take turns and share toys. We build strong relationships with children and adults.
Enabling Environments – children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs and there is a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and carers. Children have access to indoor classrooms and a large outdoor environment for them to explore.
Learning and Development – children develop and learn in different ways. The framework covers the education and care of all children in early year’s provision, including children with special educational needs and disabilities. Tudhoe Moor is an inclusive community.
What Is A High Quality Nursery Education?
- It is about much more than just learning numbers and letters.
- It is about developing the whole child – learning to be confident, sociable, independent and inquisitive. It is about having a positive attitude and forming positive relationships.
- What your child learns at Nursery will build upon the experiences they have already gained at home. Young children learn by watching and doing, by exploring and investigating, by listening and speaking, by creating and experimenting.
- If children learn to “have a go” they can learn from their mistakes and not be afraid to try again.
- The education we provide is based on a philosophy of play and active learning. Play is children’s work and playing hard is very tiring.
- We observe and assess each child carefully and record their overall development.
All aspects of children’s growth and development are woven together but they can be separated into 7 different areas of learning. These areas are consistent with the Early Learning Goals within the Early Years Foundation Stage for 0 to 5 year olds. The 7 areas are split into 3 prime areas (these underpin everything we do in Nursery) and 4 specific areas (these help to strengthen the prime areas).
These seven areas are used to plan your child’s learning and activities. We make sure that the activities are suited to your child’s unique needs. This is a bit like a curriculum in Primary and Secondary schools, but it’s suitable for very young children, and it’s designed to be really flexible so that we can follow your child’s unique needs and interests.
Children at Nursery will learn by playing and exploring, being active and through creative and critical thinking which takes place both indoors and outside.
Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND)
At Tudhoe Moor Nursery we believe that inclusive education means providing all pupils with appropriate education and support alongside their peers. The Curriculum is all the planned activities that the school organises in order to promote learning, personal growth and development. Further information can be found in the SEN Information Report
If you have any questions about SEND please contact the school and we will try our best to help you.